Sunday, May 1, 2011

Research - Environmental portrait







Unifying themes of environmental portraiture:
-Shot in the subject's usual surroundings i.e. in their home or workplace. 
-Is thought to help illustrate the subject's true character because they will be in natural and more comfortable surroundings. 
-Surroundings will give visual cues to the viewer to help them discern what this person is 'about'. 
-In studio portraiture it is common to have the background out of focus - however environmental portraiture includes both the subject and background in sharp focus to give an overall sense of the subject rather than just a description of the subjects physical features. 

The Plan
During my research I found a variety of really interesting images - but I was particularly inspired by environmental portraits of musicians such as Kurt Cobain, Bob Dylan and Iggy Pop. 
I know quite a few musicians including my boyfriend who I would love to photograph because they are very moved by their craft and very technically proficient. 




My boyfriend has been playing guitar for years and years and just loves it. I think that taking an environmental portrait representing aspects of a person's nature is ok in itself, but having the subject actually interact with aspects in their environment is even more powerful and gives viewers a more intimate insight into the person's passion.  A musician's craft reveals so much about them - and photographing this properly results in a very moving image. 

My plan is to photograph my boyfriend playing his guitar in his bedroom (where he usually practices). I'll have to wait a little while, because he is often uneasy about having his photograph taken - but photographing someone who you have already created a strong bond with creates a sense of trust that is often hard to create between strangers. I don't plan to direct my subject to much. I want to just watch and take photos at points that feel most natural. 




I would like to make this image black and white to give it a documentary feel, not just for aesthetics but also to give the impression of documenting a very intimate moment, not just shooting an environmental portrait for the sake of shooting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment